Wednesday 21 January 2015

My Thoughts: The Night Circus

I find that I'm awful at writing reviews and I write them but never post them because they're so boring so this is an attempt of a new kind of post.

Instead of completely reviewing the book I'm just going to give a few thoughts and opinions.(which I guess is a review but let's just go with it).

The Night Circus is one of the most hyped up books ever, especially because of the Internet with things like GoodReads and booktube. 

I've never once heard someone tell me they don't like it but sadly, I am that person.

I was desperate to love this book because of all the hype surrounding it but I think all that hype meant that no matter what, it would always have disappointed me even if I had enjoyed it.

Although I'm not a fan of YouTubers, I did once see Jim Champan mention this book in a video and he explained that he wasn't into reading and this was a great book for people like that because it was so easy to read. It wasn't. It's probably one of the most difficult books to get into, especially for people who don't read often.

Erin Morgenstern's writing style is very unique and descriptive and it made the book all the more magical and I loved that quality about it but it was pretty long winded and I did struggle to get into it and finish it. It seemed that no matter how much I read, I was never getting nearer the end.

The book it's self is difficult to follow with jumps in time forwards and backwards and what felt like a million subplots, some with little relevance to the main story, with hundreds of different characters. 

I can understand why people love this book so much but for me it was just way too heavy going and packed up, it was a little overwhelming.

Despite not enjoying the book as much as the majority of people, I still rated the book 4* on GoodReads purely because of the idea of the book and the writing style. It is very lovely and heartwarming and it was nice to read a magical story for a change.

I am still so so so upset that I didn't love this book though, I really wouldn't rave about it to anyone and I want to so much but it really wasn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment