Thursday 1 January 2015

2014 Wrap Up

2014 is officially over and we have all welcomed in 2015. I'm excited to read more in 2015 but I thought I'd take the time to reflect over the books I read in 2014.

I signed up to GoodReads in August so I lost track of books I read before then so I don't know if in reality I read more books than I thought in 2014.

Anyway, here's the 2014 wrap up.

1. Noughts And Crosses - Malorie Blackman (5*)
I loved this book so much. This was in fact, the first book to make me cry. It's so well written and the concept and plot is amazing, I really fell in love with the characters and love Callum's and Sephy's relationship.

2. The Fault In Our Stars - John Green (3*)
I read this book because of the hype and really did not enjoy it. John Green's writing style isn't for me and I didn't cry at all. I expected great things from it but unfortunately I didn't get that. I loved te movie though.

3. The Host - Stephanie Meyer (1*)
It's a big book and has a tiny font and it took forever to read simply because I was not enjoying it. There was no real storyline and I didn't really like the concept.

4. The Princess And The Captain - Anne-Laure Bondoux (1*)
My sister and mum both told me to read this and raved about it so much so after a few years I finally gave in. I didn't enjoy it at all, I did not like the ideas or plot and found the ending a little stupid.

5. Stolen - Lucy Christopher (4*)
I don't remember this book much but I remember enjoying it. It's a very original idea and was well written. It was also very gripping from what I remember.

6. Paper Towns - John Green (4*)
This is the one John Green book I really enjoyed. I loved the whole mystery and Margo was such a good character (even though she turned out to be a bit of a bitch in my opinion) I desperately wanted to be her. The ending let me down though.

7. Of Mice And Men - John Steinbeck (3*)
I read this as my GCSE English book, I had no choice. 

8. Will Grayson, Will Grayson - John Green and David Levithan (1*)
This book in my opinion was awful. It was poorly written, difficult to understand and had a hugely disappointing ending.

9. The Book Theif - Markus Zusak (5*)
I had wanted to read this for ages and I saw it for really cheap and picked it up and I'm so glad I did! I've not heard a single person say they don't like this book and I can see why. It's so lovely (and very sad) and it's so descriptive and well written and the death narrative is so original and creative, I loved it.

10. Wonder - R.J. Palacio (3*)
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would considering the hype surrounding it. Though I didn't enjoy it, it's very uplifting and teaches the reader some valuable life lessons which ultimately is be kind.

11. Looking For Alaska - John Green (2*)
I didn't like it and Pudge was insanely annoying.

12. The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time - Mark Haddon (4*)
Honestly, I don't remember much of what happens in this book and I know I didn't love it but it was a good read.

13. The Maze Runner - James Dashner (4*)
Loved it. It was nice to read dystopian again.

14. It's Kind Of Funny Story - Ned Vizzini (5*)
I can't fault this book. It's absolutely perfect and will definitely be one of my all time favourite books for ever.

15. Eleanor And Park - Rainbow Rowell (3*)
It was an okay book but I struggled to finish it, I had to drag myself to the end and I could not stand Eleanor.

16. Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher (4*)
I really did enjoy reading this but I found some of the reasons she mentioned a little petty and irrelevant.

17. Happily Ever After - Harriet Evans (3*)
I liked how real it was and how it followed Elle's life for a long period of time and you saw how she developed and matured. It's not really a book for my age though so I didn't enjoy it too much, it's just written more for adults.

18. The Scorch Trials - James Dashner (4*)
Again, loved it. Probably better than the first book to be honest.

19. The Death Cure - James Dashner (3*)
It started off great but the ending let it down so much.

20. Billy And Me - Giovanna Fletcher (4*)
It's a light, easy read. I really liked Gi's writing style.

21. Stargirl - Jerry Spinelli (5*)
It's strange I gave this 5* as it didn't enjoy the story much. I just loved the ending and it's so positive and uplifting. I longed to be Stargirl for hours after reading the book (and still do)

22. We Were Liars - E. Lockhart (5*)
Wow. I loved this so much and I was left so shocked, I was not expecting the ending at all, it was pretty sad in the end.

23. Why We Broke Up - Daniel Handler (4*)
I liked this concept and idea, the format reminded me of Thirteen Reasons Why.

24. This Song Will Save Your Life - Lelia Sales (5*)
I loved the topic of this book and over all really enjoyed it.

25. Tiger Lily - Jodi Lynn Anderson (5*)
Along with It's Kind Of A Funny Story, this will be one of my all time favourite books. It was great to end the year on a reading high. I loved the fantasy world and I've always loved Peter Pan and the idea of Neverland. It was just so incredible. I cried a lot at the ending. Like loads.

So that was what I read in 2014. I've set my new 2015 reading goal as 25 books which should be easy to complete (last year I set my challenge as 15 books). 

Very excited to discover more new books in the new year!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment